Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Issues/ Suggestoins / Question

From: "Brett Cunningham" <cssniper22 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:25:48 -0500

3. If a scan reports a service running that Nmap does not know about
what is the best way to try and trace down what that service might be so
I can send in an accurate fingerprint (on a Windows box)?

Depends on what that service is, but if it listens with tcp, I usually
telnet to the port and it can give you a lot of information. When that
fails, look up the service associated with that port and test it out with
the appropriate tool. Other than that, there's not really a sure way to test
for it as far as I know.

Did you have a specific service in mind? If you provided the details, I'm
sure someone would know.