Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap Issues/ Suggestoins / Question

From: Alan Jones <alan () ajsquared us>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 20:05:58 -0600

I was doing some Nmap scans in our office today and noticed a few things
that I wanted to ask about.

1) I was scanning a friends Windows Machine using the computer name and
NMap reported that the machine had 2 IP addresses then went on to say it
would scan just one address and gave the address.

-- It would be really really nice if Nmap would report all IP addresses
that a name resolves to not just one address.  What If I wanted to know
the second address (or 3rd) address so I could scan that?

--The problem I had though was Nmap said it would scan the address it
reported and resolved from the name of the two but it did not finish the
scan and report anything.  I apologize that  did not keep all the
details of the scan, but could get them next week (forgot at the time).
I then had Nmap scan the actual IP address that Nmap reported and it did
the full standard scan as expected.
Anyone seen this before?

For those wondering the machine was connected to our local LAN / Domain
twice once though the Gig NIC and once though his wireless card.

2. I was curious if there were any guesses on 4.21 Alpha 2 binaries
would be released along with newer OS and Services Signatures?

3. If a scan reports a service running that Nmap does not know about
what is the best way to try and trace down what that service might be so
I can send in an accurate fingerprint (on a Windows box)?

4. When scanning things like our Ricoh MFPs (multi-function printers)
nmap reports several services it does not  recognize.  However that is
all part of the propriety configuration of the machine. Is there
anything I could send in to help with these to to help others when they
are scanning their network?

thanks

Alan