Nmap Development mailing list archives

Possible Nmap Suggestion

From: Alan Jones <alan () ajsquared us>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:57:24 -0500

I am not sure how often Nmap gets a suggestion that the person
suggesting it is not even sure about the suggestion....  However I
wanted to bring this up to see what others thought and maybe someone
could take it to the next level if nmap-dev people liked it and
implement it.  Or may be others have a way they handle things and don't
want to add this type of thing to Nmap.

I was playing around with Nmap Alpha 9 today and doing some repeated
scans of the same set of hosts with minor adjustments of parameters or
the remote scanned client and wondered  if Nmap needed some additional
output descriptive information.  I was thinking we need a -name <"Quoted
description"> option.

nmap -v -A scanme.nmap.org -oA file -name "This is my initial scan"

nmap -v -A -sV -version-all scanme.nmap.org -oX file -name "Detailed version scan"

The name parameter could be used as a simple description to remind the
the person scanning what was special about one scan as opposed to the other.

I could see it's output in the txt file being on it's own line to make
it stand out.  XML output could be adjusted to accommodate it also.... etc

I am not sure how easy it would be to implement but if it basically
could declare anything in between a set of quotes " " as the description
would be best.  Then you could have commands in the description that are
not executed.
example:
nmap -v -name "I am using the -A parameter today and not -O1" -A -oA file

What do others think?

Alan