Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.20ALPHA9: OS detection improvements, and new features

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:45:26 -0700

Hi Everyone.  I am pleased to announce Nmap 4.20ALPHA9, which has 27%
more OS signatures and other improvements.  For example, I put in an
--open flag which only shows open (or possibly open) ports, for those
times you only care about ports you can connect to.  People have been
requesting that feature for years.

Big thanks to everyone who submitted OS fingerprints!  Please keep them
coming, as the DB still has a long way to grow.  If enough of you
submit, we will be able to break into triple-digit signature numbers
for the next release.  Here is where we stand now:

Synscan (0.1): 25 signatures
Nmap Gen2 (4.20ALPHA9): 71 signatures
SinFP (2.02): about 100 signatures
Xprobe2 (0.3): 225 signatures
Nmap Gen1 (4.20ALPHA9): 1,684 signatures

Besides submitting new signatures, corrections are also quite helpful.
I have added fingerprint correction instructions (it is very easy) to
http://insecure.org/nmap/submit/ .

Here are the changes in 4.20ALPHA9:

o Integrated the newly submitted OS fingerprints. The DB now contains
  71 fingerprints, up 27% from 56 in ALPHA8.  Please keep them coming!
  We still only have 4.2% as many fingerprints as the gen1 database.

o Added the --open option, which causes Nmap to show only open ports.
  Ports in the states "open|closed" and "unfiltered" might be open, so
  those are shown unless the host has an overwhelming number of them.

o Nmap gen2 OS detection used to always do 2 retries if it fails to
  find a match.  Now it normally does just 1 retry, but does 4 retries
  if conditions are good enough to warrant fingerprint submission.
  This should speed things up on average.  A new --max-os-tries option
  lets you specify a higher lower maximum number of tries.

o Added --unprivileged option, which is the opposite of --privileged.
  It tells Nmap to treat the user as lacking network raw socket and
  sniffing privileges.  This is useful for testing, debugging, or when
  the raw network functionality of your operating system is somehow
  broken.

o Fixed a confusing error message which occured when you specified a
  ping scan or list scan, but also specified -p (which is only used for
  port scans).  Thanks to Thomas Buchanan for the patch.

o Applied some small cleanup patches from Kris Katterjohn

And here are the goods:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA9.tar.bz2
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA9-setup.exe
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA9-win32.zip
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA9-1.src.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA9-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.20ALPHA9-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA9-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.20ALPHA9-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA9.tgz

Please let nmap-dev know if you encounter any problems!

Cheers,
Fyodor