Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap public source repository now available!

From: "Hans Nilsson" <hasse_gg () ftml net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:02:16 -1100

Great, I just tried it and it seems to work. I'm now running "Nmap
4.21ALPHA2".

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:27:27 -0800, "Fyodor" <fyodor () insecure org> said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your feedback about a public SVN repository.  It was a
bunch of work to set up due both to my security paranoia and all sorts
of SVN bugs (I ended up having to edit the 3GB SVN dump file by hand
before it would load properly).  Argh!  The good news is that it seems
to be working now.  So from now on, you won't have to wait for new
releases or apply patches manually to try the latest changes.  The
command to check out nmap, nsock, and nbase is:

svn co svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap

Then simply cd into nmap and do the standard './configure; make'.
Remember to "setenv NMAPDIR ." if you run Nmap directly from the svn
directory (just like if you ran it directly from the tarball dir w/o
installing).

I have also set up a mailing list (nmap-svn) for notification of all
changes (it sends you diffs using Subversion's Mailer.py post-commit
hook script).  You can subscribe to this mailing list at:

Keep in mind that you might get a lot of email at times, though you
can subscribe to the daily digest to prevent that.  The list isn't for
any discussion, so replies should go to nmap-dev.

Some developers who are working on cool nmap-related projects may want
to set up their own Nmap branches.  Perhaps those will go in
/nmap-exp/[username] (for experimental).  That way everyone can easily
keep up-to-date with their code, and the projects can be merged into
the trunk as they stabilize.

This seems to be working for me, but let me know if you have any
trouble.

I don't currently have web browsing of the SVN tree or RSS change
feeds enabled.  I just don't have the time and energy to set them up
securely right now.  But if anyone really wants them, maybe you can
set them up on your server (with the tools communicating with the new
public SVN server), then announce the URL to nmap-dev so everyone can
use it.

Enjoy!
Fyodor

  Hans Nilsson