nanog mailing list archives

Re: Networks ignoring prepends?

From: Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:03:09 -0500

I feel your pain Bill, but from a slightly different angle.  For years the
large CDNs have been disregarding prepends.  When a source AS disregards
BGP best path selection rules, it sets off a chain reaction of silliness
not attributable to the transit AS's.  At the terminus of that chain are
destination / eyeball AS's now compelled to do undesirable things out of
necessity such as:
  1) Advertise specifics towards select peers - i.e. inconsistent edge
routing policy & littering global table
  2) Continuing to prepending a ridiculous amount anyway
Gotta wonder how things would be if everyone just abided by the rules.

What 'rule' are you asserting is being broken here?

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 9:56 PM Jeff Behrns via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
Until they tamper with it using localpref, BGP's default behavior with
prepends does exactly the right thing, at least in my situation.