nanog mailing list archives

Re: Networks ignoring prepends?

From: Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 20:01:14 -0500

As I already explained, neither the primary nor any of the backup
providers directly peer with Centurylink, thus have no communities for
controlling announcements to Centurylink.

No, but they do have an option to not announce to 47787.

https://docs.freerangecloud.com/en/bgp/communities

53356:19014 would deny to 47787 , which would seem to be the 'problematic'
intermediate ASN in your case, You could try that and see what other
upstream paths are taken , and see if that gets you over an upstream that
lines up more with your performance expectations.

Otherwise, you either have to deal with more specifics, or try to get
better connected to 3356 some other way.

3356 isn't doing anything wrong here, as much as you seem to want to
believe that to be true. This is all pretty standard customer / peer
preference handling.