nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Traffic Re: IPv6? Re: Where to Use 240/4 Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:21:06 -0800

On 1/15/24 11:02 PM, Saku Ytti wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 at 21:08, Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:

An ipv4 free network would be nice, but is hardly needed. There will
always be a long tail of ipv4 and so what? You deal with it at your
I mean Internet free DFZ, so that everyone is not forced to maintain
two stacks at extra cost, fragility and time. Any protocols at the
inside networks are fine, as long as you're meeting the Internet with
IPv6-only stack. I'm sure there are CLNS, IPX, AppleTalk etc networks
there, but that doesn't impose a cost to everyone wanting to play.

Um, so what? There is lots of cruft the world over that would be better if it finally died. Somehow we keep on. It's just a cost of doing business. If mobile operators can support it with their millions or even billions of customers, I think everybody else can too. It's not like ipv4 address depletion is a static problem either -- it's only going to get worse as time goes on so it's what's really driving opex where v6 is pretty much a one-off investment in comparison i'd think.

Mike