nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Traffic Re: IPv6? Re: Where to Use 240/4 Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 11:05:19 -0800

On 1/15/24 12:26 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 at 10:05, jordi.palet--- via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

In actual customer deployments I see the same levels, even up to 85% of IPv6 traffic. It basically depends on the usage
of the caches and the % of residential vs corporate customers.
You think you are contributing to the IPv6 cause, by explaining how
positive the situation is. But in reality you are damaging it greatly,
because you're not communicating that we are not on a path to IPv4
free Internet. If we had been on such a path, we would have been IPv4
free for more than a decade. And unless we admit we are not on that
path, we will not work to get on that path.

An ipv4 free network would be nice, but is hardly needed. There will always be a long tail of ipv4 and so what? You deal with it at your borders as a piece of non-recurring engineering and that is that. The mobile operators model seems to be working pretty well for them and seems likely that it is an opex cost down for them since they don't have to run two networks internally nor deal with the cost of ipv4 subnets (or at least not as much? not sure how it exactly works). Worrying about whether ipv4 will ever go away misses the point, imo.

Mike