nanog mailing list archives

Re: maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

From: "Delong.com via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 12:07:25 -0700

On Oct 10, 2023, at 17:20, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

On 11 Oct 2023, at 09:43, Delong.com via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

As a community, we have failed, because we never acknowledged and addressed the need for backward compatibility
between IPv6 and IPv4, and instead counted on magic handwaving about tipping points and transition dates where
suddenly there would be "enough" IPv6-connected resources that new networks wouldn't *need* IPv4 address space any
more.

I’m not sure that we never acknowledged it, but we did fail to address it, largely because I think we basically
determined that it’s “too hard”.

It’s not actually that hard to do on a small scale, i.e. inside a home CPE with a DNS server and a NAT64
implementation that supports semi static mappings.  It does require IPv4 sites have IPv6 connectivity. You stand up a
DNS46 which requests an unused IPv4 address from a prefix block, say 10/8, when there is an IPv6 address without an
IPv4 address from the NAT64 with the IPv6 address it needs to be mapped to with an initial NAT64 lifetime value.  The
DNS46 would forget the mapping after half that initial lifetime.  The DNS46 would return A records limited half the
lifetime or less so they timeout before the NAT64 mapping expires.  The hard part is scaling up to a large client
base because not every DNS query results in IP traffic and you need a prefix block big enough to support the add rate
of the client base.  Doing this at ISP scale would be interesting to say the least.  This is not theoretical.  It has
been implemented in the past though some to the details might differ.

That’s not what we’re talking about… That’s translation, not backwards compatibility.

Companies that have gone IPv6-only internally do this with fully static IPv4 to IPv6 mappings and skip the DNS46 step.

But doing that requires that the companies have a certain amount of V4. The question was how to talk to v4-only hosts
with ZERO IPv4 addresses available to you.

So if you have a legacy device that can’t talk IPv6 there is a solution space that allows it to talk to the IPv6
internet.  You need to install it however.  Adding DNS46 to a nameserver is about a days if you already have a DNS64
model.  The hard bit is working out how to talk to the NAT64 implementation.  A good project to put on a Raspberry Pi
or similar.

I’m a new entity. I need to talk to the IPv4 internet. I have zero IPv4 addresses and none are available to me.

How do I make any of this work?

That’s the question that remains unsolved and that’s the one we most desperately failed to tackle.

Owen