nanog mailing list archives

Re: maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:11:11 -0700

I think it needs to be slightly more nuanced than that…

Because IPv4 is driven to dense-packing and tight allocations, I think disaggregation of IPv4 will only increase over
time.

The hope is that by issuing larger than needed blocks of IPv6, less disaggregation becomes necessary over time.

So far, that seems to be largely the case, with more than 50% of ASNs represented in the DFZ in IPv6, we see
roughly 191884 unique destinations in IPv6 and 942750 unique destinations in IPv4 (admittedly an instantaneous
snapshot a few moments ago from a single DFZ router, YMMV).

Even if we double the IPv6 prefix count or even quadruple it, we’re still looking at a much smaller level of
disaggregation
in IPv6 than IPv4 in the current state.

Owen