nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routed optical networks

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 15:32:55 -0400

On May 2, 2023, at 2:29 PM, Etienne-Victor Depasquale via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

On Mon, May 01, 2023 at 02:56:47PM -0600, Matt Erculiani wrote:
In short, the idea is that optical networks are wasteful and routers do a
better job making more use of a network's capacity than ROADMs. Take the
extra router hop (or 3 or 8) versus short-cutting it with an optical
network because the silicon is so low-latency anyway that it hardly makes a
difference now. Putting more GBs per second on fewer strands means saving a
lot of money on infrastructure costs.

This is a very convoluted way of backing into the ole packet-switched
vs. circuit switched decision.

I don't follow.
While ROADMs can be thought of as circuit-switchers,
the number of concurrent clients and switching latency put ROADMs on a different operational level than packet
switchers, right?

I’ve seen proposals for an LSR MPLS/ROADAM type solution, where imagine you are at a hop where in a long distance
system solution, you would end up with OEO, but instead you get directionality capability with an IP/MPLS capable
device.  As mentioned previously, the 400-ZR/ZR+/ZR-Bright/+0 optics are the latest example of that.

I know of a few companies that have looked at solutions like this, and can expect there to be some interesting
solutions that would appear as a result.  Optical line systems tend to have pretty low power requirements compared to a
router, but some of the routers are getting pretty low power as well when it comes to the power OPEX/bit, and if you
have the ability to deliver services as an integrated packet optical you could see reduced costs and simplified
components/sparing.

I’ll also say that I’ve not yet seen the price compression that I had expected in the space yet, but I figure that’s
coming.  We are seeing the bits/watt ratio improve though, so for the same or less power consumption you get more bits.
 Some of this technology stuff is truly magical.

- Jared