nanog mailing list archives

Re: Do ISP's collect and analyze traffic of users?

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 12:51:39 -0700

On 5/19/23 6:09 AM, Justin Streiner wrote:
Hank:

No doubt there is a massive amount of information that can be gathered from in-box telemetry.  This thread appears to be more focused on providers gathering data from traffic in flight across their infrastructure.

Yeah, my curiosity was whether ISP were trying to get in the monetizing traffic analysis biz which seems to be a small degree but they can't really compete with the much finer grained information that other means can provide and that they have no particular expertise in it or an institutional desire. For things like Google and Facebook, that kind of analysis was part of their initial business plan.

Mike

Thank you
jms