nanog mailing list archives

Re: Do ISP's collect and analyze traffic of users?

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 11:57:28 -0700

On 5/16/23 7:35 AM, Livingood, Jason via NANOG wrote:

+1 to what Josh writes below. I would also differentiate between mobile networks (service provisioned to individual devices & often carrier s/w on the device) and wireline networks (home devices behind a router/gateway/NAT).

I just don't think sale of data is a business for wireline ISPs. If it were - given most companies are public - you'd see it in SEC 10K filings and on earnings calls. Indeed, they'd be required to talk about it with investors if it was a material revenue stream. I see none of that. Rather, the focus is on subscription revenue. If you want to know about data monetization - focus on services you don't pay for...

Why would there be a difference between wireless and wired?

Mike