nanog mailing list archives

Re: New addresses for b.root-servers.net

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 15:15:12 +0900

Mark Andrews wrote:

It announces itself to an address which remains under the control of
USC/ISI the current and on going root server operator for b.root-servers.net.
So apart from leaking that the root hints have not been updated I don’t
see a big risk here.  The address block, as has been stated, is in a reserved
range for critical infrastructure and, I suspect, has special controls placed
on it by ARIN regarding its re-use should USC/ISI ever release it / cease to
be a root-server operator.  I would hope that ARIN and all the RIRs have
the list of current and old root-server addresses and that any block that
are being transferred that have one of these addresses are flagged for
special consideration.

I'm afraid that "old root-server addresses" will not
be considered for "critical infrastructure" at least
by those people who can't see operational difficulties
to change the addresses.

                                                Masataka Ohta