nanog mailing list archives

Re: New addresses for b.root-servers.net

From: Robert Story <rstory () ant isi edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 09:05:34 -0400

On Wed 2023-06-07 15:34:12-0700 Matthew wrote:
If the goal is increased robustness by having addresses present from a
different RIR, wouldn't it make this whole tempest in a teapot moot
if, instead of *reunubering*, you simply *added* a second set of IPs,
but continued to answer queries on the original addresses as well?

Hi Matt,

That is exactly what we've done. We are currently answering requests on
the new LACNIC addresses, the current ARIN address which we renumbered
to in 2017, and even the addresses from before that (cerca 2004).

The commitment to maintain service for 1 year after the new LACNIC
addresses are switched in to the root.hints from IANA does not mean that
this is a cutoff date and that we intend to turn off service on the
older addresses after a year.  We currently have no plans to do so for
the foreseeable future. In fact, the possibility has not even been
suggested or discussed at all.

In short: Keep calm, and query on. :-)

Regards,
--