nanog mailing list archives

Re: New addresses for b.root-servers.net

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 13:19:18 -0700

On Sun, Jun 4, 2023 at 7:41 AM Izaac <izaac () setec org> wrote:
It's not a security update.  It's a configuration change.

Hi Izaac,

Perhaps you missed my subsequent message where I pointed out that the
IP address is hard-coded in Bind which will use it by default unless
configured not to.

It's also not a vulnerability.  A vulnerability, as defined by MITRE for
CVE is:

"A weakness in the computational logic (e.g., code) found in software
and hardware components that, when exploited, results in a negative
impact to confidentiality, integrity, or availability.

At an absolute minimum there's an impact to confidentiality since it
causes Bind to announce itself to an IP address that is not a root
server. If the user configured bind with DNSSEC validation disabled,
it's also a negative impact to integrity and availability since the
potential false responder can steer bind away from the true DNS tree.

Like well known default passwords, for which there are many CVEs, it's
a vulnerability.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--