nanog mailing list archives

Re: New addresses for b.root-servers.net

From: Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:12:20 -0400

Bill-

Don't say, "We'll keep it up for as long as we feel like it, but at
least a year." That's crap.

30% of the root servers have been renumbered in the last 25 years.

h : 2015
d: 2013
l : 2007
j : 2002

For these 4 cases, only a 6 month transition time was provided, and the
internet as we know it did not fall over in a flaming pile. ( One could
argue it was ALREADY a flaming pile, but that's a different discussion.)

Why are we so twisted up because this time they are providing a guarantee
for TWICE as much transition time? Have things changed so much since 2015
that a full year is not enough time all of a sudden?