nanog mailing list archives

Re: New addresses for b.root-servers.net

From: Matt Corallo <nanog () as397444 net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:27:25 -0700

On 6/19/23 2:08 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
Matt Corallo wrote:

Both in theory and practice, DNSSEC is not secure end to
end

Indeed, but (a) there's active work in the IETF to change that (DNSSEC stapling to TLS certs)

TLS? What? As was demonstrated by diginotar, PKI is NOT
cryptographically secure and vulnerable to MitM attacks
on intermediate intelligent entities of CAs.

Note that diginotar was advertised to be operated
with HSMs and four-eyes principle, which means
both of them were proven to be untrustworthy
marketing hypes.

Even more reason to do DNSSEC stapling! It avoids some of the CA issue (well, it would if you could make it required, I don't believe the current design is required, sadly).

and (b) that wasn't the point - the above post said "It’s not like you can really trust your packets going to B _today_ are going to and from the real B (or Bs)." which is exactly what DNSSEC protects against!

As long as root key rollover is performed in time and
intermediate zones such as ccTLDs are not compromised,
maybe, which is why it is not very useful or secure.

The following description

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiNotar
     Secondly, they issued certificates for the Dutch
     government's PKIoverheid ("PKIgovernment") program.
     This issuance was via two intermediate certificates,
     each of which chained up to one of the two "Staat der
     Nederlanden" root CAs. National and local Dutch
     authorities and organisations offering services for the
     government who want to use certificates for secure internet
     communication can request such a certificate. Some of the
     most-used electronic services offered by Dutch governments
     used certificates from DigiNotar. Examples were the
     authentication infrastructure DigiD and the central
     car-registration organisation Netherlands Vehicle
     Authority [nl] (RDW).

makes it clear that entities operating ccTLDs may also
be compromised.

This is totally unrelated to the question at hand. There wasn't a question about whether a user relying on trusted authorities can maybe be whacked by said trusted authorities (though there's been a ton of work in this space, most notably requiring CT these days), it was purely about whether we can rely on pure "I sent a packet to IP X, did it get to IP X", which *is* solved by DNSSEC.

I agree DNSSEC does not solve all issues with client security, but it doesn't have to, it *does* solve the issue of a BGP hijack against an authoritative DNS server being able to respond with whatever IPs it wants (and then get TLS certs because of it).

Matt