nanog mailing list archives

Re: New addresses for b.root-servers.net

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 19:32:01 -0700

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 7:03 PM Wes Hardaker <wjhns61 () hardakers net> wrote:
All root server operators have made a strong commitment to only serving
the DNS root as managed by IANA [1], I'm afraid this option is off the
table.  Although you could use some wiggle-ling to try and say this
principle doesn't apply to "old addresses", I would not be willing to
take that wiggle on behalf of b.root-servers.net.

Hi Wes,

As I recall, the statement which started the thread could be
paraphrased as one of those root server operating saying, "Hey
Community, we'll continue to treat the old address as still a root DNS
server for a year, maybe more, but no promises."

I acknowledge that you'd prefer it be, "forever and a day," and
perhaps that's what the answer should be, but in all due respect the
document you cite is completely mute on the use of addresses which are
-no longer- root DNS servers.

At some point, somebody's going to want to do something with the old
/24. If they didn't, nothing would stop them from committing to
continue its use as a root DNS server (in addition to the new official
address) for the remaining lifetime of the b-root service. The extra
configuration and extra route announcement just don't have a high
enough cost not to.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--