nanog mailing list archives

Re: NTP Sync Issue Across Tata (Europe)

From: James R Cutler <james.cutler () consultant com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:19:45 -0400

A carefully selected set of stratum 0 sources for a set of stratum 1 servers is the heart of good NTP source design.
With at least four “local” stratum 1 servers, Dr. Mills algorithm is excellent at distinguishing truechimers from
falsetickers and providing a reliable source of monotonic time. DOS is a separate problem.

My NTP network deployment experience for a major auto manufacturer, among others, is in agreement with William Herin. A
GPS NTP source is a valid Stratum 0 source, but relying on a single instance for local time is not exceedingly better
than querying time.apple.com <http://time.apple.com/> or a similar source.
-
James R. Cutler

William,

Due to flaws in the NTP protocol, a simple UDP filter is not enough. These flaws make it trivial to spoof NTP
packets, and many firewalls have no specific protection against this. in one attack the malefactor simply fires a
continuous stream of NTP packets with invalid time at your firewall. When your NTP client queries the spoofed server,
the malicious packet is the one you likely receive.

That’s just one attack vector. There are several others, and all have complex remediation. Why should people bother
being exposed to the risk at all? Simply avoid Internet-routed NTP. there are many solutions, as I’ve already
described. Having suffered through such attacks more than once, I can say from personal experience that you don’t
want to risk it.

-mel