nanog mailing list archives

Re: NTP Sync Issue Across Tata (Europe)

From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 07:03:12 -0300

On Sun, Aug 6, 2023 at 11:36 PM Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org> wrote:

GPS Selective Availability did not disrupt the timing chain of GPS, only the ephemeris (position information).  But a
government-disrupted timebase scenario has never occurred, while hackers are a documented threat.

DNS has DNSSec, which while not deployed as broadly as we might like, at least lets us know which servers we can
trust.

NTP has NTS, which all 5 servers I mentioned have, and many more also have.

Your own atomic clocks still have to be synced to a common standard to be useful. To what are they sync’d? GPS, I’ll
wager.

Nope, they are synced to the reference atomic clock of National
Observatory, pretty similar to USNO but local.

Rubens