nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 "bloat" history

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:56:48 +0900

Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:

I tried exactly what you suggested for IPv6 with RFC 8505 and 8929.
But to few people in mainstream networks realize what you just said.

I found, theoretically by reading 802.11 specification,
broadcast/multicast reliability problem and reported to
IPv6 WG about 20 years ago. So, I'm pleased to know
that some people recognize it as a real problem and
worked on it. Thank you.

It started long long ago with the idea to use inverse ARP for the
registration, I guess it is still doable but I am not optimistic
about adoption considering that v6 is a lot worse with more addresses
and DAD.

Aren't IP addresses are assigned from APs? Then, the
APs can construct ARP table without actually running
ARP or inverse ARP, I'm afraid.

We are editing the piece on proxy ARP at this very moment at .11me.
APs are indeed supposed to proxy both v4 and v6. What is less clear
is how they form a deterministic state for that.

An ARP table entry can be created when an IP address is assigned
during registration process and destroyed if the registration is
invalidated.

Or, do I misunderstand anything?

                                                Masataka Ohta