nanog mailing list archives

RE: V4 via V6 and IGP routing protocols

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\) via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 06:10:32 +0000

Hello Dave:

There's RFC 8950 in the context of BGP. That's a refresher of RFC 5589 which is the one we typically refer to
internally.

I glanced at homenet too early, and then too late. Too early, it seemed that the protocol would be OSPFv3; no
discussion. So I left till too late, when the choice was between ISIS and BABEL, and the group would not even consider
arguments.

RPL seemed to do the trick without the need to define anything new, in my book. It supports multihoming by defining as
many topologies, no need for source/destination, radios, IoT, mobility, things you'll find at home. But hey, those of
us who understand RPL were not there at the right time and there we get yet another fragmentation. Not the IETF at its
best.

Nothing against BABEL, it's neat. Well written specs, much better than we did with RPL. A modernized DV, addressing the
same space as RIP or EIGRP - though I really like the DUAL piece in EIGRP. More of a core technology than of an
edge/mobile like RPL, they could be complementary. And then BABEL has a nice dynamic community including openWRT
developers, that's a huge strength.

Not sure you'll find it in your usual vendor hardware though.

Keep safe;

Pascal