nanog mailing list archives

Re: uPRF strict more

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 07:01:39 +0200

On 9/29/21 20:14, Phil Bedard wrote:

Disclosure I work for Cisco and try to look after some of their peering guidelines.

Agree with Adam’s statement, use uRPF on edge DIA customers.  Using it elsewhere on the network eventually is going to cause some issue and its usefulness today is almost nil.  That being said we still see large providers who have it turned on for peering/transit interfaces either out of legacy configuration or other reasons.  The vast majority do not use it for those interface roles.

If you don't plan to run a full BGP table on a device, don't enable uRPF, even loose-mode.

Mark.