nanog mailing list archives

RE: [External] Re: uPRF strict more

From: Brian Turnbow via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:31:30 +0000

Hi

What it does allow is for *deliberate* blackholing for traffic; if you
null-route a prefix, you now block incoming traffic from that subnet
as well. This can be useful and it is how we are using URPF.

I don't think it is implied here, but just for clarification this is implementation
detail. Loose and blackhole route does not imply this behaviour, It might, it
might not, depending on vendor/implementation.
JunOS by default considers null route as loose path satisfied, and you need
'set forwarding-options rpf-loose-mode-discard family X' to behave like you
explain.

Yes even in cisco land for Ios XR SBRTBH you need set next-hop discard in route policy.
You cannot use recursive lookup to null in urpf

Brian