nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS pulling BGP routes?

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:09:20 -0700 (PDT)

----- On Oct 18, 2021, at 1:40 AM, Masataka Ohta mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp wrote:

Sabri Berisha wrote:

Therefore, anti-trust intervention is only considered in markets
where there are a relatively small amount of competitors and this
lack of competition harms the consumer, or when one or more dominant
parties use their position to force smaller companies into
unreasonable compliance with their wishes.

Didn't network neutrality become an issue because "one or more
dominant parties use their position to force smaller companies
into unreasonable compliance with their wishes"?

The term "network neutrality" was invented by people who want to control
a network owned and paid for by someone else.

Your version of "unreasonable" and my version of "unreasonable" are on the
opposite end of the spectrum. I think it is unreasonable for you to tell me
how to run configure my routers, and you think it is unreasonable for me
to configure my routers that I pay for the way that I want to.

Net neutrality is just a fancy word for "I don't like the fifth"*.

The CDN market has multiple competitors, and the barrier to entry the
market is relatively low as you don't have any last-mile issues or
difficult-to-get government license requirements.

To enter the market competitively, you must have large number
of servers at many locations, I think.

Hence the "relatively low". It is far easier to start a CDN than it is to
start a residential internet service. At least here in the U.S.

Thanks,

Sabri

* The fifth, besides the right to remain silent, also contains the
takings clause.