nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS pulling BGP routes?

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:24:16 +0900

Tom Beecher wrote:

But, I certainly mean that CDN operators should not request
peering directly to access/retail ISPs merely because they have
their own transit, because the transit is not at all neutral.

I'm still confused.

Let's say I have a CDN network, with a datacenter somewhere, an edge site
somewhere else. I carry my bits from my datacenter, across my internal
network, to my edge site. This is where I intend to hand the bits over to
someone else to carry them to the end user.

The problem is that, unlike neutral transit providers, "the bits"
is biased by the CDN provider.

Then, access/retail ISPs who also want to supply their own contents,
even though they must be neutral to contents provided by neutral
transit providers, naturally refuse peering with the anti-neutral
CDN providers.

Remember that CDN providers are not neutral at all.

                                                Masataka Ohta