nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS pulling BGP routes?

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 23:34:28 +0900

Tom Beecher wrote:

For network neutrality, backbone providers *MUST* be neutral
for contents they carry.

However, CDN providers having their own backbone are using
their backbone for contents they prefer, which is *NOT*
neutral at all.

As such, access/retail providers may pay for peering with
neutral backbone providers for their customers but should
reject direct peering request from, actively behaving against
neutrality, CDN providers.

If I am understanding you correctly, are you arguing that anyone with a
network MUST be forced to become a transit provider for anyone else, in the
name of "neutrality"?

No, not at all.

For example, CDN (N stands for a network) operators may rely on
neutral transit providers to connect their CDN to access/retail
providers.

But, I certainly mean that CDN operators should not request
peering directly to access/retail ISPs merely because they have
their own transit, because the transit is not at all neutral.

                                        Masataka Ohta