nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS hijack?

From: Robert L Mathews <lists () tigertech com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 16:37:07 -0800

On 11/12/21 8:33 AM, Jeff Shultz wrote:
I still think that this is not the correct way for NetSol to handle this situation, particularly since the pages they put up look like phishbait designed by Austin Powers.

I didn't see the page, but for what it's worth, this is governed by this ICANN policy:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en

Particularly 2.2.4:

"In interrupting the DNS resolution path of the registration, if the registrar directs web traffic to the domain name to a web page while the registration is still renewable by the RAE, that web page must conspicuously indicate that the domain name registration is expired and provide renewal instructions."

If it didn't meet that requirement, you could complain to ICANN about it.

(You're also more generally right that what Network Solutions is doing here is horrible. Decent registrars don't redirect traffic: they simply set the domain name to clientHold so that it doesn't appear in the DNS at all, because otherwise they're breaking your stuff -- and what's worse, breaking it in a way that may take some time to recover from even after you renew the domain name, due to DNS caching.)

--
Robert L Mathews