nanog mailing list archives

Re: Perhaps it's time to think about enhancements to the NANOG list...?

From: Emil Pfeffer <emu () emuadmin com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:39:49 +0000

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 09:20:14AM -0500, Mike Hammett wrote:
"But why it should or shouldn't be clicked..."

Sorta like most man pages.

They both need prior knowledge to use.
We tend to simplify things in order to save time but then the new generation comes
in and thinks the simple things it's all there is and have no willingness to go
back in time and accumulate "useless" knowledge. It is useless because the problems
it fixes were already fixed but it is paramount in understanding whats behind the
simple things. Knowledge can only be simplified so much and there's no shortcut to
accumulating it. (hence why most people will prefer to just use the tools)

The generational gap is not an issue it is how things need to be. The network
engineering the younger generation deals with is not the same networking the old
generation deals with but built upon this old networks. This two generations do
not need the same knowledge and it is in each others best interest that they stay
separated. Although we would gladly help someone that is obviously putting in the
effort and is looking to learn we have not volunteered to be teachers and some people
need to understand that we prefer to keep it simple because we have no time to waste.

It is easy to believe that the method you are using is the one but eventually
the good ones will have to pass the test of time which mailling lists and a plethora
of the old tools successfully did.