nanog mailing list archives

Re: Past policies versus present and future uses

From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 13:34:19 -0300

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 1:28 PM Rob McEwen <rob () invaluement com> wrote:

A take on the 1979 movie "When A Stranger Calls" - "have you checked the
children?" becomes "have you checked the IP registration?"

[image: Have you checked the IP registration?]

The vast majority of the time, Ron Guilmette does "the Lord's work" - but
THIS time - it looks to me like he put his political biases ahead of legit
anti-abuse, and it's no surprise that we now have a trail of destruction
left behind, along with much "innocent bystander" collateral damage.

Is DDoS-Guard without blame? Probably not, but them hosting some
occasional criminals is NOT UNLIKE EVERY OTHER GLOBAL NETWORK! So like
other large and diversity global networks, anti abuse should focus on
removing their worst criminals/spammers. By these SAME standards, many
other large and famous networks should lose most or much of their IPs too!

So here we are, with many OTHER networks now legitimately freaked out
about losing their IPs, and with massive potential collateral damage that
might hurt many "innocent bystanders" each time that is done!

They are not losing IPs because of hosting questionable content. It's very
reassuring to see RIR policies being enforced; there is a sentiment of lack
of accountability in IP allocations and that changing is positive for all
the ecosystem.

Rubens