nanog mailing list archives

Re: An update on the AfriNIC situation

From: Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:37:39 -0400

After "consideration of the
affidavit" the court allowed "up to" $50 million to be frozen. Whatever the
merits of the affidavit are, it indicates that the court looked at the
facts,
made a determination and based on that ordered the asset freeze.

There's an important distinction to be made here.

The Supreme Court of Mauritius did not ORDER the asset freeze. The order
AUTHORIZED CI to garnish $50MUSD of AFRINIC's assets "at it's own risks and
perils" .

This means that if AFRINIC countersues CI , and it is found in court that
CI did not have a valid claim to AFRINIC's assets, CI will be liable for
damages.