nanog mailing list archives

Re: China’s Slow Transnational Network

From: Pengxiong Zhu <pzhu011 () ucr edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 00:55:01 -0700

Most countries in Africa do not implement great big firewalls. Our
problems are quite different :-\...

I know Caida has one paper on the congestion on Africa's IXPs substrate.
However, we did find Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa have better
transnational performance than China, while the performance of Ghana and
Egypt was worse than China, at least that's what we saw from the web4africa
VPSes we brought.

We've seen somewhat similar behaviour from these networks when peering
outside of China

Sorry I am a bit confused here. What do you mean by "these networks"? When
you say "peering outside of China", who is peering who exactly?

Best,
Pengxiong Zhu
University of California, Riverside