nanog mailing list archives

Re: China’s Slow Transnational Network

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 12:07:47 +0200

On 15/Mar/20 09:55, Pengxiong Zhu wrote:

I know Caida has one paper on the congestion on Africa's IXPs substrate.

I can't think of a single IXP in Africa that is "congested".

Do you have more data?

However, we did find Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa have better
transnational performance than China,...

Not having great big firewalls tends to help :-).

while the performance of Ghana and Egypt was worse than China, at
least that's what we saw from the web4africa VPSes we brought.

While I can't speak to the national backbones of Ghana and Egypt, it
would be good to obtain multiple perspectives, just to be sure.

Sorry I am a bit confused here. What do you mean by "these networks"?
When you say "peering outside of China", who is peering who exactly?

I know about Chinese operators who will deliberately congest peering
ports to influence 3rd party network behaviour.

Mark.