nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Pain Experiment

From: Matt Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 10:02:01 +1000

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 11:48:33PM +0000, Michel Py wrote:
Owen DeLong wrote :
How would you have made it possible for a host that only understands 32-bit addresses to exchange traffic with a
host that only has a 128-bit address?

With some kind of NAT mechanism, naturally.

That word "naturally" is doing an *awful* lot of work there.

How would you have made a 128-bit address more human-readable? Does it really matter?

I have found it difficult to talk hex with people from other countries.

Try to say FACEB00C to someone who does not speak your langage.
Foxtrox Alpha Charlie Echo Bravo Zero Zero Charlie does not go through either.
250.206.176.192 works all the time. Everyone gets the numbers.

That word "Everyone" is doing an *awful* lot of work there.

All this hand-waving is creating quite a breeze.  Think I'll put on a
sweater.

- Matt