nanog mailing list archives

RE: ICMPv6 "too-big" packets ignored (filtered ?) by Cloudflare farms

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 17:55:10 -0000

Hey Saku,
From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:54 AM

Hey Adam,

We did this exact testing a while back on Juniper 2nd and 3rd gen PFEs.
The results showed it doesn't matter a tiny bit whether you do 5-tuple hash
or use flow label.
So the bottom line is on modern NPUs it doesn't really matter.

Does PFE mean PE or Trio? What exactly did you test? I don't see way to
disable L3+L4 keys and enable flow_label.

This was on Trio and sorry I should have clarified we did test with default L3+L4 keys on MPLS labelled packets
-default in Junos (as baseline).
And then repeated the test using flow labels -which forced Trio to ignore the L3+L4 keys and act solely on flow label.
PPS performance wise we couldn’t really tell the difference (was in the noise).

adam