nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICMPv6 "too-big" packets ignored (filtered ?) by Cloudflare farms

From: Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 18:44:05 +0300

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 5:11 PM Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:
Personally I'm surprised if ICMP volume is relevant based on our
netflow data.

Legitimate ICMP traffic volume — oh, that's for sure.

But when it comes to attack volumes, it's a different story, and
current netflow measurements might be a bad indicator here, as in
"peacetime generals are always fighting the last war instead of the
next one".

You are proposing that in this case, there is no such issue of
delivering ICMPv6 messages to correct host

Guaranteed delivery of untrusted remote messages to exactly the
particular host behind an equal cost fanout, if allowed in a DDoS
mitigation network, is itself a problem, but that has been discussed
in detail in the Section 6 of RFC 6437.

My point is that it might be hard to find an affordable device that
implements ECMP with v6 flow labels without a considerable performance
impact. I would personally happy to see what others have tested in
that regard.

--
Töma