nanog mailing list archives

Re: SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:14:26 -0700

On 7/11/19 12:03 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:
So I have a meta-question about all of this. Why in 2019 are we still
using telephone numbers as the primary identifier? It's a pretty sip-py
world these days, even on mobile phones with wifi calling, I assume. It
seems like this problem would be more tractable if callerid was a last
resort rather than a first resort.
yes! I bet that if you provided some form of 'identity' to the caller
and permitted the callee to verify that data upon call setup... you'd
get further along.
there could  even be an ecosystem of services which callees could
subscribe to in order to report reputation and have that be used to
influence call completions over time...

if only there were such systems in existence already... if only some
form of proof of concept existed?

15 years ago when I was working on DKIM, I added DKIM signatures to SIP messages for shits and giggles. It really wouldn't be that hard to extend DKIM for SIP. Same goes for SPF. Same goes, I assume, for DMARC. We pretty much know how to identify email providers, and the providers can pretty well identify individual accounts. Same goes for SIP, it seems to me.

I assume interprovider these days is all IP for the most part. I would think that the only remaining vestiges of the PSTN is the last mile where landlines are going extinct, and most mobile minutes are done over wifi/IP.

Mike