nanog mailing list archives

RE: 5G roadblock: labor

From: "Keith Medcalf" <kmedcalf () dessus com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 17:59:26 -0700

It'd be nice to see what benefits 5g really has for carriers and
consumers/users... It looks, to me, like a bunch of the 5g hype is
really: "uhm, we need to sell these carriers on the G++ ... spin up
the hype machine about speed!" never mind the cost to deploy, range of
deployment, changes in handset/radio gear / etc... more $ to the
vendors!

You know that there is a massive amount of hype going on when they tie
IoT to why it's definitely most certainly needed the mostest. I mean,
your average IoT gadget is going to consume exactly how much bandwidth?
And why on earth would I want to deploy using cellular when my router
can have a zigby port and send it using my home connection?

Why on earth would I want to send it anywhere at all over the Internet?

One already has to disassemble and inspect very closely almost all electronic gadgets so that the internal embeded
spyware microphone and camera and wireless can be removed with pliers.  This is just another thing to inspect for and
forcibly disable.