nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 14:48:34 -0800

On 12/30/19 2:39 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

It'd be nice to see what benefits 5g really has for carriers and
consumers/users... It looks, to me, like a bunch of the 5g hype is
really: "uhm, we need to sell these carriers on the G++ ... spin up
the hype machine about speed!" never mind the cost to deploy, range of
deployment, changes in handset/radio gear / etc... more $ to the
vendors!

You know that there is a massive amount of hype going on when they tie IoT to why it's definitely most certainly needed the mostest. I mean, your average IoT gadget is going to consume exactly how much bandwidth? And why on earth would I want to deploy using cellular when my router can have a zigby port and send it using my home connection?

Mike