nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mx204 alternative

From: "Radu-Adrian Feurdean" <nanog () radu-adrian feurdean net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2019 11:09:54 +0200

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019, at 08:13, Saku Ytti wrote:
On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 09:09, Radu-Adrian Feurdean
<nanog () radu-adrian feurdean net> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, at 16:51, Tom Hill wrote:
No-one has mentioned it yet, so for completeness big C have the ASR 9901

Weren't we talking about "decently priced" ?

ASR9901 and MX204 being wildly differently priced is market
inefficiency. It's difficult for me to see, how CSCO could justify the
premium for any volume order. Either sell at market or lose sale.

The 2 boxes not having exactly the same port count and features(9901 can do - or is suppose to be able to do -
subscriber stuff - IPoE,PTA,LAC), this explains the difference. Add the fact that Cisco has customers that buy "Cisco
and nothing else".

And not everybody buys "enough" in order to get acceptable volume discounts.

Also it will never run eXR. I have no information, but I think it's
reasonable to suspect the OS not being sold may receive decreasing
amount of NRE. I wouldn't certainly spend my time writing code for
product I'm not selling.

Agreed.