nanog mailing list archives

Re: MAP-E

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 08:47:57 -0400

On 8/8/19 9:00 PM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
As for protocol, assuming port mapping on UPnP gateway is statically
configured by ISPs not changable from CPE side, GetListOfPortMappings()
of UPnP should be useful for CPEs to know range of ports to be used
by them.

There's actually a DHCPv6 option for specifying the port information in addition to the transition tech in use. I had previously inquired to NANOG about it, though I don't recall the specifics at this time.

In theory, with that in place, a user could go buy any ol' RG style router with support for the proper transition tech and just plug and play like they currently do with native dual-stack networks.
--
Brandon Martin