nanog mailing list archives

Re: Packetstream - how does this not violate just about every provider's ToS?

From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew () matthew at>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 05:10:36 -0700

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 1:09 PM Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. <amitchell () isipp com>
wrote:

On Apr 25, 2019, at 1:41 PM, Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc> wrote:

It seems like just another example of liability shifting/shielding. I'll
defer to Actual Lawyers obviously, but the way I see it, Packetstream
doesn't have any contractual or business relationship with my ISP.  I do.
If I sell them my bandwidth, and my ISP decides to take action, they come
after me, not Packetstream. I can plead all I want about how I was just
running "someone else's software" , but that isn't gonna hold up, since I
am responsible for what is running on my home network, knowingly or
unknowingly.

And *that* is *exactly* my concern.  Because those users...('you' in this
example)...they have *no idea* it is causing them to violate their ToS/AUP
with their provider.

And this in part, is my reason for bringing it up here in NANOG - because
(at least some of) those big providers are here.  And those big providers
are in the best position to stamp this out (if they think that it needs
stamping out).

So providers should stamp this out (because it is “bad”) and support
customers who are running TOR nodes (because those are “good”). Did I get
that right?

Matthew Kaufman