nanog mailing list archives

Re: backbones filtering unsanctioned sites

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 17:03:56 -0500

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Ken Chase <math () sizone org> wrote:

  >"Abuse cannot not provide you a list of websites that may be
encountering
  >reduced visibility via Cogent"

They could, if they kept a list of forward lookups they had done to get IPs

i think you mean passive-dns .. which is a thing, and exists.
(mumble (passive total|farsight|deteque|....) mumble)

that ended up in their blacklists. But just having the IPs it's impossible
get the whole list of possible hostnames that point at it (reverse records
are
singular, and often missing).

Nonetheless, it'd be nice to know how a single IP got onto the list - and
what
Cogent's doing about situations where multiple other hostnames map onto the
same ip.

it's totally possible that the list here is really just a court-order
addition, right? I can't imagine that there is a cogent employee just evily
twiddling pens and adding random ips to blacklists...

I have clietns that are Cogent customers, I'd just like to get informed
before
I bring the hammer down.

it's worth noting that fairly much every service provider has a provision
like cogent's 'force majaure' clause  which includes: '...any law, order,
regulation...'

so it seems safe to assume that there's some court order cogent reacted to
:( we should fight that problem upstream.

/kc
--
Ken Chase - math () sizone org Guelph/Toronto Canada
Heavy Computing - Clued bandwidth, colocation and managed linux VPS @151