nanog mailing list archives

Re: Waste will kill ipv6 too

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon () orthanc ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 19:07:43 -0800

On Dec 28, 2017, at 6:54 PM, Ricky Beam <jfbeam () gmail com> wrote:

Home networks with multiple LANs??? Never going to happen; people don't know how to set them up, and there's little
technical need for it.

Again, you are assuming you know how people will use networks forever.

Stop overthinking things, and just concentrate on just routing the packets.

Your ONLY concern as a network operator is the number of routing table entries you need to carry.  The size of my
netmask (giggity) is irrelevant. Ship me a 48, 52, 64, 120, doesn't matter.  It's a single RTE as far as you are
concerned.  (Again, unless you can't $afford renting the extra address space from ARIN.  In which case you don't have a
network infrastructure problem ...)