nanog mailing list archives

Re: Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network after DDoS attack proves pricey

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:50:02 -0600

On 9/27/16 11:18 AM, Brielle Bruns wrote:
On 9/27/16 10:05 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:
I point to the current trend of parents watching and smiling, doing
nothing as their kids destroy people's stores and restaurants.  ISPs
are literally doing the exact same thing when it comes to coddling
their customers.

They can *see* the unruly children, but *choose* to ignore them.  That's
the difference.

I call shenanigans on providers not seeing their unruly users.  They
have no problems with bandwidth caps, or doing the dirty work of
copyright police, both of which require some level of network monitoring
per customer.

Or even better example - the providers who monetize customer browsing/shopping habits using third party network device? Or SiteFinder like services with their DNS?

Providers have no problems monitoring, intercepting, mangling.

I know people here will say, "Well, I'm not like that/don't believe in that!", but we're not talking about technical decisions - but decisions made by people who's job is to squeeze as much profit out of the customers as possible.

There is no financial incentive or penalty for preventing/limiting your customers from harming others. If there was, I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org