nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 adoption "incentives"?

From: Joe Klein <jsklein () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 09:52:38 -0400

What would it take to test for BCP38 for a specific AS?

Joe Klein
"Inveniam viam aut faciam"

PGP Fingerprint: 295E 2691 F377 C87D 2841 00C1 4174 FEDF 8ECF 0CC8

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net> wrote:

Does anyone know if any upstream and tiered internet providers include in
their connection contracts a mandatory requirement that all
directly-connected routers be in compliance with BCP38?

Does anyone know if large ISPs like Comcast, Charter, or AT&T have put in
place internal policies requiring retail/business-customer-aggregating
routers to be in compliance with BCP38?

Does any ISP, providing business Internet connectivity along with a block
of IP addresses, include language in their contracts that any directly
connected router must be in compliance with BCP38?

I've seen a lot of moaning and groaning about how BCP38 is pretty much
being ignored.  Education is one way to help, but that doesn't hit anyone
in the wallet.  You have to motivate people to go out of their way to
*learn* about BCP38; most business people are too busy with things that
make them money to be concerned with "Internet esoterica" that doesn't add
to the bottom line.  You have to make their ignorance SUBTRACT from the
bottom line.

Contracts, properly enforced, can make a huge dent in the problem of BCP38
adoption.  At a number of levels.

Equipment manufacturers not usually involved in this sort of thing (home
and SOHO market) would then have market incentive to provide equipment at
the low end that would provide BCP38 support.  Especially equipment
manufacturers that incorporate embedded Linux in their products.  They can
be creative in how they implement their product; let creativity blossom.

I know, I know, BCP38 was originally directed at Internet Service
Providers at their edge to upstreams.  I'm thinking that BCP38 needs to be
in place at any point -- every point? -- where you have a significant-sized
collection of systems/devices aggregated to single upstream connections.
Particular systems/devices where any source address can be generated and
propagated -- including compromised desktop computers, compromised light
bulbs, compromised wireless routers, compromised you-name-it.

(That is one nice thing about NAT -- the bad guys can't build spoofed
packets.  They *can* build, um, "other" packets...which is a different
subject entirely.)

(N.B.:  Now you know why I'm trying to get the simplest possible
definition of BCP38 into words.  The RFCs don't contain "executive
summaries".)