nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

From: Tony Finch <dot () dotat at>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 10:57:00 +0000

Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg () tristatelogic com> wrote:

You are correct.  In this case, it would have been helpful if APNIC's WHOIS
server returned something, when queried about 103.11.67.105, that would
include an explicit referral to the ARIN WHOIS server.  I mean they
obviously know all the transfers they've made.

Yes, the state of whois referrals from RIRs is a bit of a mess.

I have changed FreeBSD whois to rely more on referrals than built-in
knowledge, and this mostly works. There are a couple of hacks to cope with
awkward RIRs: AfriNIC's referrals are human-readable though they can be
parsed if you assume the rubric is fixed; for RIPE, if the netname is
NON-RIPE-NCC-MANAGED-ADDRESS-BLOCK it is treated as a referral to ARIN;
there's a similar hack for APNIC's ERX-NETBLOCKs - but evidently this
doesn't apply to more recently transferred net blocks :-(

It's probably time to make whois use RDAP under the covers for address
lookups. Bah.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot () dotat at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Southeast Iceland: Westerly veering northwesterly 6 to gale 8, decreasing 4 or