nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 21:28:35 +0100

Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
Oh, geeeezzzzz!  ...

    Showing 1 to 10 of 1,823 entries

Yeah, get over it.  Number resource transfers are a thing, and this
number is only going to increase.

You are correct.  In this case, it would have been helpful if APNIC's WHOIS
server returned something, when queried about 103.11.67.105, that would
include an explicit referral to the ARIN WHOIS server.  I mean they
obviously know all the transfers they've made.

But I guess that somebody somwhere decided that that's just too much
trouble.

David Conrad already pointed out that this problem has been solved using
RDAP which supports referrals.  Try installing the nicinfo command from:

https://github.com/arineng/nicinfo

At a guess, I'd say referrals haven't been implemented in whois because
the whois "protocol" is unfixably broken and unsuitable for distributed
information sharing.

Nick